Attendance at practices is an integral part of the commitment of being a member of a team. A swimmer’s absence affects their individual performance as well as their team’s ability to reach their goals. Any extended absences have a large impact on the entire team so it is essential that coaches are notified as soon as possible in the event of an absence.
Scope of this Policy:
- Swimmers are expected to attend all practices and are expected to be committed for the entire year as a team member.
- Swimmers arrive for practices 10 minutes before the beginning of practice time, in proper attire and with necessary equipment, so that practices can start at the designated time.
- Attendance and participation at all practices is mandatory. Any extended absence has a big impact on the whole team as routine practices are greatly affected. This is critical in the two-weeks before a competition.
- Swimmers with manageable, non-contagious medical ailments are expected to attend practice and participate as much as possible.
- The swimmer and /or his or her parent or guardian must communicate with the coach if the swimmer will be absent PRIOR to practice or in a timely manner or if the swimmer has a minor ailment.
- Exceptional circumstance related to attendance or tardiness must be discussed and authorized by coaches.
- Continued and/or unexcused absences will be managed on a case-by-case basis.
- Planned absences should be discussed with coaches and avoided where possible within 2 weeks of competitions.
- A swimmer is expected to attend ALL competitions. If a swimmer must miss a competition for ANY reason, the parent/guardian must communicate with the coach immediately. Absences from any competition not approved by the coach may impact participation at future competitions.